zondag 29 januari 2012

Quest choice / Plan A or Plan B



Why a QUEST;

Comfort and speed.
On tour it is great to have good protection against headwinds. If I choose the right gear I will be able to climb every hill /mountain.
Now I must be very careful what to take with me. On other trips I didn’t care much about weight of the things I carried. In fact I had to walk with the bike (Condor) only twice during my trip (11.000 km) in 2008: 25 meters and 200 meter.  
Also one puncture!!! Due to good tires; Swalbe Marathon XR.
How this Quest will be in hills and mountains I will find out in the 2 years prior to the big trip to Japan. I still believe in fixing the remaining problems. I will come to those challenges in later blogs.
Distance; I expect to be able to extend the daily distance more, in order to talk and make contact to people, which is the most beautiful part of the trip!

Why SOLARQUEST?
I will use solar energy on my Quest to feed energy to the batteries of the light, phone,  camera and hopefully the laptop I intend to take with me.
The sun is giving people mental power. Happiness of a velomobiel rider!
On top of that I will cycle to the land of the rising sun!
Also I will cycle towards the sun in the morning EAST!

Plan B
If things will not work out for plan A; Due to one of the reasons:
Can’t send the SolarQuest back by ship,
Can’t sell the SolarQuest in Japan (before I leave),
Visa problems in one of the countries I’ll have to cross,
Other problems in one of the passing countries in the time I will cycle there.

Then I will have to change my plan.
This Plan B will be cycling with my Condor from Prudhoe Bay Alaska to Panama in 6 months.
A wonderful plan as well, but only if plan A doesn’t work.

Plan A I will leave april 1 st  2014
Plan B I will leave Prudhoe bay around July 15th 2014

My Condor with solar energy in 2008, Stone Mountain Atlanta, Georgia USA

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hallo Menno, begrijp ik je goed dat je van NL naar Japan wil fietsen met een Quest? Wow!

    Heb daar zelf veel jaren geleden ook op de fiets rondgereisd http://www.cyclingaroundtheworld.nl/japan/ heel bijzonder. Heb zelf erg veel ervaring met fietsen in verre streken. Tips nodig, mail me gerust.

    En dan moet dit artikel je wellicht aanspreken: http://mooigeelisnietlelijk.blogspot.com/2012/01/rond-de-wereld-met-een-velomobiel.html

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Zeker is dat het plan, maar er zijn nog vele zaken die moeten worden geregeld, te veel om op te noemen. De komende jaren moet er zekerheid komen of het plan reëel is!
    Er zijn enkele sites te vinden, vaak met een "bukfiets" ("van hier tot Tokio" was een van de inspirator bronnen) De "Velomobiel round the world" site ga ik zeker vaker bekijken. Hij heeft echter een ander idee om zoiets te gaan doen dan ik. Elektrisch, veel te zwaar en te hoog beladen, ik ben wel zeker benieuwd naar zijn ervaringen. We hebben contact (zie ook mail)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen